Innovative ideas receive a boost to market
- Minister for Jobs and Innovation
- Senator for Western Australia
Smart home technology that enables the elderly to live more independently and interactive software for brain injury rehabilitation are among 12 Australian innovations being offered more than $5 million in commercialisation funding announced today.
Grants worth $5.4 million, provided under the Accelerating Commercialisation element of the Australian Government’s Entrepreneurs’ Programme, will support the businesses behind these innovations to prove their viability and prepare them for the marketplace.
The latest funding offers will assist a:
- Melbourne company to build an innovative service using smart home technology and artificial intelligence to improve aged care and support services for elderly individuals, especially those living at their own home alone
- Brisbane company to design and test their personalised-fitting Bluetooth earbuds that provide better sound for use by the hearing impaired and the music industry
- Melbourne university to commercialise their interactive software application for brain injury rehabilitation that allows therapists to design and prescribe therapeutic tasks for patients in the clinic and at home to accelerate recovery, benefitting the 300,000 Australians living with brain injury and millions more globally
- Perth company to trial its web-based analytics platform to optimise water and nutrient consumption for agricultural, horticultural and water utility sectors.
Minister for Jobs and Innovation, Michaelia Cash, said the commercialisation support would help more businesses to get their new products off the ground.
“Whether it’s invested in prototyping and design, product trials or exploring export market opportunities, we are helping more Australian businesses become innovation success stories,” Minister Cash said.
“These grants are supporting projects across a wide range of industry sectors and many are already achieving success in global markets.
“This is the kind of return the Turnbull Government is seeking through its investments in innovation – it leads to a prosperous economy, supports job creation and rising living standards for everyone.”
Each of the grants offered by the Government is matched by industry funding.
For more information about how to apply for an Entrepreneurs’ Programme commercialisation grant go to business.gov.au/ep
More information on the grant recipients is available at business.gov.au/ac funding offers.