Jobs report identifies opportunities for all Australians
- Minister for Jobs and Innovation
- Senator for Western Australia
When the Coalition was elected to office in September 2013 we committed to being a job creating Government.
We have been focused on ensuring the right economic policy settings and market conditions to boost jobs growth and today’s release of the Australian Jobs 2018 report confirms our plan is working.
The report identifies job opportunities for all Australians and will be launched today by Minister for Jobs and Innovation, Michaelia Cash, at Merici College in Canberra.
This report helps people who want to get into the workforce identify some of the best job growth industries, employment prospects and opportunities around Australia.
The report identifies four key trends:
- Labour market conditions are strong — employment is up by a record 403,300 over the year to January 2018. This 3.3 percent growth was more than double the decade annual average (1.6 per cent). More people are in jobs than ever before.
- Young people are benefiting from the strong labour market conditions — industries with a large number of young workers include Retail Trade (around 386,000), Accommodation and Food Services (385,000) and Construction (175,000). These are great industries for young people to develop important experience and skills, kick-starting their careers.
- Australia’s industry structure is changing — today, more than three in every four Australian workers are employed in a service industry, with much of the growth driven by Health Care and Social Assistance. This reflects our aging population and the introduction of the NDIS.
- There are now more jobs for higher skilled workers — the majority of growth over the past five years has been in occupations that require post-school qualifications, and this is likely to continue. This complements the trend of more young people undertaking tertiary study, leading to higher paying jobs.
The Minister for Jobs and Innovation, Michaelia Cash, said the Government has been focused on getting the right economic policies in place which have created strong market conditions and jobs growth.
“The Australian Jobs 2018 report released today identifies the job opportunities of the future,” said Minister Cash.
“At a time when our economy is creating, on average, about 1,000 additional new jobs per day, it is important to let people know where the job opportunities are and where the expected growth will be.
“Since the Coalition came to government, the economy has created a total of 996,800 jobs — an increase of 8.7 per cent.
“In 2017 there was record jobs growth and the strong conditions reflect the Government’s sound economic policies.
“Australian Jobs 2018 is one of the country’s foremost job publications. It provides an easy-to-read overview of industry and occupation trends and is designed to meet the needs of students, career advisers, people looking for work and those involved in jobactive, the national employment service,” said Minister Cash.
The full report is also available at https://www.jobs.gov.au/australian-jobs-publication.