Regions announced for Regional Employment Trials Program
- Minister for Jobs and Innovation
- Senator for Western Australia
- Minister for Regional Development, Territories and Local Government
- Member for Groom
Ten regions across the country will benefit from a new Turnbull Government employment trial that will enable local organisations, who understand the issues on the ground, to design solutions to employment challenges.
The Turnbull Government is investing $18.4 million under the Regional Employment Trials Program, a 21-month program designed to support local networks to promote employment in regional areas.
In the 10 selected regions, Employment Facilitators will work with Regional Development Australia (RDA) committees to develop local employment projects.
Examples of projects that could be funded include:
- using experienced or retired residents, and local business leaders in a mentoring program
- preparing job seekers for an up-coming infrastructure project
- work experience programs that provide local employment opportunities.
Minister for Jobs and Innovation, Senator Michaelia Cash said the program will directly support local employment projects.
“We are bringing together all available expertise at the local and regional level to develop positive employment outcomes,” Minister Cash said.
“This is an initiative which utilises skills already on the ground and by investing in local employment programs we are strengthening the local economy to the benefit of everyone in the community.”
Minister for Regional Development, Territories and Local Government, John McVeigh said both North and North Western Tasmania have been selected as part of the trial.
“This is the Turnbull Government again putting in place policies to ensure that people who want to work have the opportunity to get work, no matter where they live,” Dr McVeigh said.
“We know that employment is key in strengthening the economy, particularly in rural and regional communities.”
The Department of Jobs and Small Business will run a competitive tender process to appoint Employment facilitators. For more information, visit www.jobs.gov.au/purchasing.
The Trials will start on 1 October 2018 and run until 30 June 2020.
The trial regions are:
- New South Wales
- Northern Inland RDA region
- Far South Coast RDA region
- Melbourne (Western Melbourne/North Western Melbourne Employment Regions only)
- Gippsland RDA region
- Townsville and North West (Townsville Employment Region only)
- Wide Bay Burnett RDA region
- South Australia
- Murraylands and Riverland RDA Region
- Yorke and Mid North RDA Region
- Western Australia
- Peel RDA Region
- Tasmania (North and North Western Tasmania Employment Region only)